NEWS OF THE NEIGHBORHOODS
Coffee With a Cop Invites Residents to Meet and Ask Questions
The Southeast Area Command invites residents to join them for “Coffee with a Cop” this Wednesday, Feb. 20, 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. at McDonald’s, 8601 Central SE. This is an excellent opportunity to enjoy a cup of complimentary coffee, meet the officers and the Crime Prevention Unit, and share questions and concerns. For more information, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (505) 259-2202.
Animal Adoptions Only $10 This Coming Weekend!
If you’ve been wanting to adopt a furry friend, now is your chance! The Animal Welfare Department and PetSmart are teaming up to host an adoption event Friday, Feb. 22 through Sunday, Feb. 24, 12:00 noon – 4:00 p.m., at two Petsmart locations in Albuquerque! Help give a shelter animal a good home by adopting at this great event. To learn more, visit: http://www.cabq.gov/pets/events/animal-welfare-department-petsmart-national-pet-adoption
Community Policing Council (CPC) Meetings This Week
· Northwest Area Command, Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6:00 p.m., Don Newton Taylor Ranch Community Center.
· Southeast Area Command, Thursday, Feb. 21 at 6:00 p.m., César Chávez Community Center.
The CPCs highly encourage citizen attendance and participation, and all CPCs are accepting new members. For information on how to apply, visit:https://www.cabq.gov/police/community-policing-council
Military Veteran Outreach Events Offer Tax Assistance, Benefit Information, and More
The New Mexico Department of Veteran’s Services (NMDVS) hosts monthly veteran outreach events at numerous community and senior centers and venues around Albuquerque, offering property tax benefit information, information on veteran’s license plates, veteran discounts, and much more. If you know any veterans, these events are for them! To see the NMDVS full schedule of outreach events, as well as a host of other veteran-geared information, visit:http://newmexico.networkofcare.org/Veterans/#.WoNNjU8N7Rs.mailto
Find Streetlight Owners and Report Outages
Many residents can find it confusing to report street light outages, as some street lights are owned by PNM and some are owned by the City of Albuquerque. You can report City-owned street light outages by calling 311 or reporting it on the 311 app, and PNM street light outages can be reported by calling 888-342-5766. To find out which street lights are owned by the City and which by PNM, check out this handy interactive map at: https://www.cabq.gov/abq-streetlights/report-a-streetlight-outage
Neighborhood Association Meetings Across Town
· Semillas y Raices, Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 6:00 p.m., Art Center Square (AC2). E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
· Glenwood Hills, Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 6:30 p.m., Dwyer Substation. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· Four Hills Village, Tuesday, Feb. 19 at at 6:30 p.m., Canyon Club. E-mail:email@example.com for more information.
· Santa Barbara Martineztown, Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6:00 p.m., 1420 Edith NE. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· District 4 Coalition, Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6:30 p.m., North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
· Los Duranes, Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6:30 p.m., Los Duranes Community Center. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
· South Broadway, Thursday, Feb. 21 at 6:00 p.m., South Broadway Cultural Center. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
· Westgate Heights, Thursday, Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m., 9901 Benavidez SW. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Third Thursday at Albuquerque Museum Features International Flair
This month’s Third Thursday event, Feb. 21 at the Albuquerque Museum, showcases the influence of Islamic Art on Spain, tying in with the current Visions of the Hispanic World exhibit, and features internationally recognized oud player Rahim Al-Haj. You can also buy food and drink and enjoy the music! To learn more about Third Thursday, visit: https://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/albuquerque-museum/events/3rd-thursdays-at-albuquerque-museum/2019-02-21
Recycle Your Plastic Bags for a Reusable One
Plastic bags often get caught in recycling machinery and harm the recycling process. Did you know you can recycle your plastic bags in a different way? Keep Albuquerque Beautiful, Solid Waste Management, and Whole Foods are teaming up for a unique recycling awareness event on Saturday, Feb. 23 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon. Residents who bring a large bag full of plastic grocery bags to Whole Foods, 5815 Wyoming NE, a.m. will receive one free reusable bag, while supplies last. Help us Recycle Right and keep plastic bags out of your blue carts. To learn more, visit: www.cabq.gov/solidwaste